Hah! So the final month of December, despite workload being the lightest happened to be one of the most hectic, personal life-wise. It was a roller coaster of a month, it had its ups and it had its downs, but overall, despite how difficult this year had been (and, ooooh, trust me, it’s been very difficult) there are some wonderful ups.
Some of the wonderful ups that happened this year:
1. My first play! Coming Out of the Closet was not easy, there were tears and there was anger, but there was also lots of laughter. COOC taught me quite a bit as well about who I am as a person, and more importantly who I am as a writer and an artist (haha, as cliched as that may sound)
2. Savannah, Georgia – My brother studied at SCAD and for his graduation, the whole family hauled ourselves to the South for an entire month. The American South has it’s own culture, not quite the culture that we see on telly, so the experience was an eye-opener and of course, a ridiculous amount of fun with my family. It was Savannah, Orlando, Atlanta and Savannah again. I’m so glad I went back to the States after 7 years of a self-imposed restraint.
3. David – My best friend of 7 years – gosh, have I known you for that long? – finally made his way down to Malaysia. It was a whirl-wind of a visit, but it opened my eyes to the prejudices that I had against my own country and realized that hey, maybe, Malaysia isn’t that bad after all. Plus, from the moment we landed, we chatted at a rate of a mile a minute to the moment he left and it’s friends like these that makes me very grateful for the life I have.
4. Writing, writing, writing – I’ve written a lot this year. And when I mean, a lot, I mean a lot. I spend at least an hour a day writing. So far this year, there has been a play, a fan-fiction that I haven’t gotten around to editing and posting and finally, my first novel which I’m still working on. And plenty of shorts that I’ve been saving on my pc.
5. Losing weight – Not quite to that bikini body yet, but getting there.
6. Eizwan – Eizwan and I reached another milestone in our relationship. It’s not something I want to elaborate here, it’s something very private between the two of us but it means a lot to me, and it’s a sweet way of remembering what was a tumultous and difficult year.
Were there downs? Oh God, plenty. It was a ridiculously difficult year this year and I’m being rather stiff upper lip about it but there were nights where I wondered if I could make through another day, and I wondered if things ever were going to be okay. Despite all the great things of 2008, I am glad that it’s over and I look forward to 2009. With some trepidation, no doubt, but boy, I’m just glad 2008 is over.